Choose your course

Advanced search

Student Finance

If you are applying for a full-time higher education course this autumn now is the time to start thinking about completing your student finance application.

The best way is to apply online, it's quick, easy, and secure. You can apply for student finance before you've confirmed your final decision or received an unconditional offer from UCAS. We advise that you apply as soon as possible to ensure your finance application is assessed in time for the start of your course.

How do I apply for student finance?

You will need to submit an application form to Student Finance England as soon as you have submitted your UCAS application.

The process for continuing students is different - it is better to wait for SFE to contact you directly before you re-apply. SFE will start contacting students at the end of February.

The part-time loan application process will be open shortly.

What documents and evidence do I need to send?

  • If you're only applying for the Tuition Fee Loan and the basic Maintenance Loan (the section that doesn't depend on your household income), you only need to complete the application.
  • If you apply for financial support that depends on your household income you will need to provide your/your parents National Insurance number and financial information on your application. This will be checked by HM Revenue and Customs.
  • Once you've submitted your application, you may be asked to send supporting evidence.
  • If asked to, send photocopies of the documents, not the originals, as soon as possible.  

When will I find out about my student finance application?

  • Once your application has been assessed you will be sent a Student Finance Entitlement Letter, explaining how much money you are entitled to.
  • If you applied for your student finance online, you must sign, date, and return a declaration form to Student Finance England.

What happens after I receive a Student Finance Entitlement Letter?

  • Please upload a copy of your entitlement letter when you are asked for a method of payment during the enrolment process. 
  • You must then attend College enrolment and start your course to enable us to process your student finance application. When we have verified you as attending your course, we will then confirm your loan application with Student Finance England.

Tip: Save all of your documentation and letters sent to you (including any College and UCAS letters) as you many need to take these with you to register at the start of your course.


Some useful links: