Getting the most out of an Open Event. - Starting College
Most colleges offer open events, an opportunity to visit and see the facilities and campus and we are no exception! Our open events are designed for you to get a flavour of what it is like to be a student at MidKent College. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What to do before the open event
- Register your details if you can. This means we will be expecting you and it’s always nice to be treated by name when you check-in! It is also a way for you to be in with the chance of winning a prize too! We often give away cinema vouchers, shopping vouchers and even restaurant gift cards for those who register in advance.
- Check out which campus you will be visiting. Our open events for each campus are on different days - there would be nothing worse than turning up to the wrong campus on the wrong day! Also, there are a few subjects which are only offered at one of our campuses, for example, Travel & Tourism is only offered at our Maidstone Campus and Performing Arts is only offered at our Medway Campus.
- Think of important questions and write them down so you don’t forget. Make questions about your potential study programme a priority. Our staff are all on hand to answer any question you may have and they are really friendly too!
What to do on the day
- Bring someone along – a friend, your parents, partner, an older brother or sister…two (or more!) heads are better than one and they may be able to help you. But remember that it’s you who gets the final say on the study programme that you select. If you’d like to come along on your own, that’s absolutely fine too.
- Talk to students as well as the tutors and support staff. There are always student ambassadors at our open events and no-one knows better than a current student what a place is like to study in.
- Check out the facilities - and not just the workshops and studios for your subject. Take notice of the break areas, canteens and libraries too.
- In addition to subject tutors, there will also be staff from student support areas too – they can help if you have concerns about transport costs, special needs support, or any other concerns that affect your wellbeing.
What to do after you’ve been to an open event
- Make a list of your possible subject choices and do a little research into the progression routes and future job opportunities - you will know when you’ve found the subject for you.
- Hopefully you will get all of the answers to your questions at the open event but don’t panic, we are here to answer anything else you might want to ask. We have a dedicated Course Enquiries team on hand to guide you through the application process. You can telephone them on 01634 402020 or email them on email@example.com
Register here for our next open events in November.