Decisions, decisions - Life skills
Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to make decisions?
Whether it’s switching to a new gym, getting your haircut in a different salon, or even switching your allegiance from one brand of smartphone to another, we all have a built-in resistance to change.
Why? Because it requires effort. Change means we have to think differently, and in many cases put in time and energy to actually do something.
You see, the easier option by far is to keep doing what you’ve always done. Psychologists call it the ‘path of least resistance’ and basically it means we tend to want to do the things that require the least amount of effort on our part, even if it’s not the best thing for us to.
And your gym, your hairdresser, your phone company, and pretty much every other organisation you deal with knows that. Think about car insurance. If you stay with the same insurer for a number of years, they will build up a profile of you that says you’re unlikely to compare their price to a competitor and will increase the price safe in the knowledge that you’ll probably just accept the renewal rather than go through the hassle of shopping around*.
So what can help you fight that resistance to change and make the right decision for you? Here are our top tips:
- Be clear on your goals. What do you actually want to achieve for you?
- Explore your options. What could you do, and how will you find out more?
- Get some advice. Who could you speak to that knows about the options and could help you choose what’s right for you?
- Select the best solution. Of the options you’ve looked at, which one is most likely to help you achieve your goals?
- Tell people your decision, and take action. Put in the effort, and do something that confirms your decision.
We understand that choosing where you study after GCSEs is a tough decision, but choosing to study at College could be the right decision for you even if it requires a bit more effort to switch to studying somewhere new. That’s why we’ll do everything we can to make sure you have information and access to the right advice, and that a decision to switch to College is quick and easy.
So be clear on your career goals, and come along to our November open events to explore your options…