- Level 2 Apprenticeship in Engineering Operative (Fabrication/Welder) - Medway
- Level 2 Apprenticeship in General Welder - Medway
- Level 3 Apprenticeship in Engineering Technician - Medway
- Level 3 Apprenticeship in Maintenance & Operations Engineering Technician - Maidstone
- Level 3 Apprenticeship in Metal Fabricator - Medway
- Level 4 Apprenticeship in Automation and Controls Engineering Technician - Maidstone
- Level 4 Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacturing Technician - Maidstone
- Level 6 Apprenticeship in Manufacturing Engineer - Maidstone
I’m currently studying the Level 3 Diploma in Engineering (welding/fabrication). I came to MidKent College as I wanted to get some more experience in the engineering world and felt like that would best the way to get into engineering instead of going straight into an engineering job.
I started my Level 2 in Engineering straight after school and did that for two years and then went onto the Level 3 for two years. I then got an apprenticeship with MEMS power generation, in Gillingham. Once I have completed the NVQ side of things I will be qualified in welding and fabricating.
Whilst doing the Level 2 and 3 I was working for my uncle, for my work experience, so I did a lot of building work, all sorts really from drainage to working on trucks, anything to do with engineering really. I did that whilst doing three days a week at College.
Once I got my apprenticeship I started doing the welding on the job as well as College. The whole College experience has been really good; I’ve learnt so much from it, all the tutors have been so good to me, they have helped me through the process of finding a proper career and it’s gone really well.
The facilities are really good as well, there’s more than you need! There’s always stuff to work on. For my apprenticeship I come into College one day a week. My work has been really supportive, they were the ones who encouraged me to do the programme. I would recommend doing an apprenticeship as you get more experience doing the trade especially when it comes to fabrication and welding.