Health & Childcare Study Programme
- Level 1 in Childcare & Health & Social Care - Medway
- Level 1 in Childcare & Health & Social Care - Maidstone
- Level 2 in Childcare - Medway
- Level 2 in Childcare - Maidstone
- Level 2 in Children & Young People's Workforce - Medway
- Level 2 in Children & Young People's Workforce - Maidstone
- Level 2 in Health & Social Care - Medway
- Level 2 in Health & Social Care - Maidstone
- Level 3 in Children's Play, Learning & Development (EYE) - Medway
- Level 3 in Health & Social Care - Medway
- Level 3 in Health & Social Care - Maidstone
- HNC in Social & Community Work - Maidstone
- HND in Social & Community Work - Maidstone
- Access to Higher Education in Humanities & Social Science - Medway
- Access to Higher Education in Humanities & Social Science - Maidstone
- Access to Higher Education in Nursing & Healthcare Professions - Medway
- Access to Higher Education in Nursing & Healthcare Professions - Maidstone
- Level 2 in Awareness of Mental Health Problems - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Counselling Skills - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Principles of Care Planning - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Principles of Dementia Care - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Principles of End of Life Care - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Principles of Prevention of Infection in Health Care - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Principles of Working with Learning Disabilities - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Safe Handling of Medication in Health & Social Care - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Understanding Autism - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Understanding Behaviour that Challenges - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Understanding Children's Mental Health - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Understanding Dignity & Safeguarding in Care - Direct off Site
- Level 2 in Understanding Specific Learning Difficulties - Direct off Site
Prepare for an incredibly rewarding career in health, social or childcare – providing care services to the very young and the elderly.
Find out the difference between a Health & Childcare course and a study programme here.
Our study programmes, which are hosted at both Maidstone and Medway campuses, will equip you with everything you need to start an incredibly rewarding career in health and childcare. We have strong links with a range of care establishments, giving you great work experience opportunities that will enhance your personal and professional development.
Study for a level 1 to 3 qualification. These provide hands-on experience as well as theory. They could take you to work or, with the right level 3 qualification, you could go on to university.
What will I learn?
You will develop the skills, knowledge and experience required to work within the health & social care or childcare sectors. Depending on the level and type of course you undertake, you may complete a range of units including: diet and heath, anatomy, physiology, equality, diversity and rights, supporting and protecting adults, keeping children safe and children’s education. Level 1to 3 qualifications will fuel you with the experience and theory that could take you to immediate work or even university. You could also go onto an HND or degree in Health & Social Care at the College.
Why choose a MidKent College Health & Childcare study programme?
Our tutors are expertly trained health and childcare professionals that will provide you with all the support and advice you need to successfully pursue a career within the industry. You'll also gain invaluable practical knowledge by completing work experience as part of your study programme. Additionally, we have strong links with a range of care establishments, giving you a great choice of places where you can develop. A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is required by law for all Health & Childcare students.
What level am I?
This will be dependent on the qualifications and experience that you currently have. For some very practical subjects you'll need to start at level 1 to ensure you learn the key theory, practical knowledge and health and safety standards for your industry. Check out what level you are on our chart.
How is English & maths involved?
If you're aged 16-18 years old, English and maths will be a key part of your study programme. You will study both subjects at a level to suit you. You'll need this to help those in your care, in operating equipment and even supporting young children with their learning.
What facilities and trips are available?
Past students have travelled to India to live at ABLE hospital (a charitable organisation) to shadow doctors and nurses on their community rounds. They also worked alongside social workers and teacher volunteers to teach children basic life skills.
Is an apprenticeship available?
Yes, the College offers apprenticeships in Health & Social Care, Youth Work and Health & Pharmacy Services. Or maybe the apprenticeship in Children & Young People's Workforce would suit your career aims?
What have your past students gone on to do?
Students have progressed onto university to gain qualification in Teaching, Childcare Studies and Pharmaceutical Science. Many of our Childcare students gained employment from their work experience placements.
What can I do afterwards?
You'll be equipped with the practical skills and theory to enter a wide range of employment options from midwife, nurse, nursery worker to social worker or carer.How much do health care practice managers get paid? Health care professionals in the Medway and Maidstone areas can expect to earn on average £16.29 per hour.*
Traditionally you may have studied a Health & Social Care course, where you would only study the qualification, such as caring for children, supporting adults and first aid. A Health & Social Care study programme is so much more than a Health & Social Care course!
This change to study programmes is due to national feedback from employers saying young people need to have more than just a “qualification”; they need to have the skills to work in their chosen industry. A study programme encompasses the subject qualification, English and maths skills as well as work experience and personal development skills. You can read more about study programmes here.
Students will complete extensive mandatory work placements to prepare them for their career. Due to the nature of these placements, all students studying these programmes will be subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check.
By phone: 01634 402020
By email: Contact us online
*Data taken from EMSI April 2018